Simplicity can never be overrated. But do not get mugged by the simple look of this dish , its devilishly camouflaged to hide a burst of flavors inside. A perfect marriage of ingredients to devour and keep your taste buds immersed in it for a long time!
- French boule or baguette, big cubes
- 5 plum tomatoes( used a mix of roma and vine ripened ones), big cubes
- 2 tsp chopped fresh garlic
- Bunch of fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped in swirls / chiffonaded
- 2 Table spoons of Olive oil
- Handful of Parmigiano reggiano , grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat your oven to 350 F.
Take a big pan and heat 11/2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium to hight heat. Place the cubed bread and toast till golden brown , add cubed tomatoes and garlic. Toss lightly. Let the juices from the tomatoes soak up the bread. Season with salt and pepper. Off the heat, roll basil leaves like a cigar and slice, sprinkle all over the bread and tomato mix.
Toss the goodness into a baking dish.
For the gratin part, sprinkle the grated cheese and olive oil on top . Bake it for 35 minutes and serve hot along side your main course or better eat it for a light brunch, Do savor the different caramelised basil flavor.
Immerse your senses!